St George's Vets Accident & Emergency
St George's VetsAccident & Emergency

Toxic hazards

Dogs and cats can be poisoned in a number of ways. Contamination of the digestive system can result from the direct ingestion of a toxic substance, ingestion of poisoned prey, or from grooming contaminated fur. Some toxins can even be absorbed through the skin of the pet (particularly the paws), and a few can gain entry by inhalation.

 

What are the signs of poisoning?

The clinical signs are very variable and will depend on the particular poison concerned. Many toxins produce gastrointestinal signs (vomiting and diarrhoea), others produce neurological signs (tremors, incoordination, seizures, excitability, depression or coma), respiratory signs (coughing, sneezing, difficulty breathing), skin signs (inflammation, swelling), liver failure (jaundice, vomitting) or kidney failure (increased drinking, inappetence and weight loss). Some toxins act on more than one body system, and so can produce any combination of the above signs. It is important to remember that while most cases of intoxication will cause acute problems, chronic intoxication can also arise, and often proves even more difficult to recognise and treat.

What should I do if I suspect my pet has poisoned?

If you suspect your pet has had access to a poisonous substance, particularly if it is looking at all unwell, it is important that it be taken to the vet as fast as possible. If it is a cat then it is usually best to wrap in a towel and put in a carry basket  to prevent it from hurting itself or you. This also prevents the cat from ingesting further coat contamination. It is NOT advisable to try and make a cat sick, for example by giving salt or washing soda, since none of these compounds work effectively in cats. It is best to call the vet to warn them of your arrival and give them plenty of time to prepare any treatments that your pet may need.

Common causes of poisoning

Many every day items are potentially hazardous and if you are aware of these you can help to prevent an accident.

 

Domestic hazards

  • Antifreeze / fuel
  • Bleach / disinfectant
  • Asprin / paracetomol
  • Slug pellets, rat poison
  • Lilies, pine needles

 

Food

  • Chocolate
  • Grapes / raisins
  • Mushrooms
  • Onions

 

Need help now?

Tel: 01902 425262

 

Address

St George's Vets

8 St George's Parade 

Wolverhampton

WV2 1BD

Telephone calls will be recorded for training purposes and quality assurance (24 hours a day).

More about St George's Vets

Visit our main web site for all of the St George's news, stories and information at www.stgeorgesvets.co.uk

Print Print | Sitemap
© St George's Veterinary Group Ltd 2015

Call

Directions